Pray.....

Those that know me 'really' well know that I'm Catholic. I guess it doesn't matter if someone does or doesn't know that. I just hope they know I'm a believer in God - at least through my actions and deeds.

I have been praying a lot lately. Well, for years actually. About much of the same thing too. I knew I had been battling a raging depression for quite some time and I thought I was praying about it. I realize I was not truly praying for what I want. Don't get me wrong, what I was asking for was a real thing. It just dawned on me after I got a perfect email from my darling husband early this morning I was praying for the wrong thing.  I have been asking for something very specific - an actual tangible item that can be held in my hand. That's really not how I'm supposed to pray.

Now I've never claimed to be a good Catholic. In fact, I'm probably a mediocre one at best. I have tried other faiths but none have ever provided me with the comfort and peace that this faith has always provided me. Yes, there are issues within the Church that I still rally against. I don't know if we will ever see eye to eye on certain things.  But that is something that I need to continue dealing with.

Well, after I read the prayer Mark sent me this morning I felt like I'd been hit over the head with a ton of bricks. I had been praying for the wrong things. The thing I need more than anything right now is peace. Peace of mind, peach in my heart, peace in knowing that I made the best decisions, did the right things or at least tried to, treated people with kindness, peace in that my faith will stay strong no matter what is thrown at me. Peace brings comfort, joy, good health, love and so many things to you. It's very karmic and Buddhist. If you ask for the intangible or at least help in attaining it, I think God is more than willing to answer. Asking for things is almost like looking through the store Christmas catalogues and making a wish list for Santa.

I'm 50 years old. Closer now to 51, actually. I learn (or relearn) things on a daily basis - more now than ever. Aging (gracefully, I hope!) gives you wisdom in knowing that you will constantly learn if you stay open. Wisdom is another of those intangibles that is such a gift to us. If we do our part to stay healthy and happy hopefully the wisdom will help keep us on a good path into old age.

So here's the prayer that was sent to me. It may not seem like much on the first reading. I got much more out of it the third time around. I hope you do too.

Prayer against Depression
By St. Ignatius of Loyola.

O Christ Jesus
When all is darkness
And we feel our weakness and helplessness,
Give us the sense of Your Presence,
Your Love and Your Strength.
Help us to have perfect trust
In Your protecting love
And strengthening power,
So that nothing may frighten or worry us,
For, living close to You,
We shall see Your Hand,
Your Purpose, Your Will through all things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)