Singers and Karaoke

What is it about the karaoke phenomenon? I find it to be a little uncomfortable, personally. We were celebrating the birthday of my dear friend Leslie (Happy Birthday, Leslie!!!!!) and they have a terrific karaoke system and lots of music to pick from. Some people take to karaoke like fish to water. Others, like me find it very foreign and as I said a few sentences ago, uncomfortable. I think it's a terrific venue for those who can't play a musical instrument or for those who don't get the chance to perform onstage. I like using it for rehearsing a song for an audition but find it tough to use them as a performance tool. I don't know......I'm one of those people who will look and look through a karaoke book of songs and even though I love a million of them can't find one song to sing. Several of my friends with the most fabulous of voices are the same way. I wonder about this......... I'll have to write a book on it someday!

I guess the other thing I don't like about karaoke is that it tends to bring out the mediocre. Nothing drives me crazier than a out of tune performance or watching some sing and use the wrong technique which will eventually ruin their voice (do I sound like a teacher here? Argh, somebody stop me before I say too much!). I just put on my happy face and smile and nod but deep down I just wish that person would stop singing. God help me........I am trying not to be so judgemental! It's the perfectionist in me and I just want everyone to sing well!

Comments

Unknown said…
Okay, Leslie. I'll come over alone so that no one else has to listen to me! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)