Great Expectations

I have been feeling a little blah lately. I know part of it is just the normal depression I've been dealing with for the past 6 months. I know that with time this will all get better. Since they (whoever they are) say that 'time heals all wounds' I'm counting of the pain of my loss diminishing bit by bit and the regular me will finally be back.

Life still goes on of course but I sure do find it hard sometimes to even get out of bed (or off the sofa) and be ambitious. Some days I'm better but the past few have been more difficult. I'm not worrying about this so much and just being able to say that it's been hard to motivate myself makes me feel a lot better. I can acknowledge it and move forward.

Anyway, on to what I meant to discuss: as life does go on I was thinking about all my expectations in the arts whether it's music (both my husband and I are professional level musicians), theatre, movies, writing, art, etc. I find that I am super critical of things and of people. I think that I am incredibly constructive in my criticism but I still find myself surprised at how often I'm disappointed. I'm thinking that I have very high expectations and want to see or hear the performer at their 100% best (mistakes are totally fine - it's part of a live gig).

Is this disappointment justified? Am I just expecting way too much from people? Are they just dialing it in or is this the best they've got? Now I know that most things I see around here are considered amateur but there are so many gifted, talented folks around here that I know that the quality is higher than in many other places I've been.

I want everyone to use their potential, to discover what is good in them and show it to the world. If there is potential, there is greatness waiting to come out. I really want to see more of that greatness.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed and maintaining my great expectations. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)