These boots were made for walkin'

It's been a semi-frustrating few years when it comes to performing. I have had more fun being the big-picture director or music director so stepping back into the not-so-comfortable-acting-shoes has had it's share of aches and pains.  I had a really hard time the last time I was on stage. There were multiple reasons for that but the biggest I think was that I had not originally planned to be involved in a show as I knew it would be an insanely busy time (which it was). In my former career, August & September were the most insane and busy of the year.

Directors will agree with me - I know it is so tough to NOT direct when you're on the stage. You want to be helpful and you end up being so damn observant of everyone else that you forget what you're doing. Well, not 'forget' but you stop acting/reacting out of habit. It's a really tough shift for me but I'm slowly finding that my acting shoes have some give in them and they're starting to get comfortable again.

I won't lie, this has been a hard process for me. I don't have a lot to hide behind. Of course, it's a musical comedy so that's a big thing to use if you want to. I choose not to... I'm trying to find every nuance in every word, spoken or sung. It's still not there yet but I've got a week to get it hammered out. I think I can get there by next Friday.

The show is going to be good. It's already fun in terms of the writing, rehearsals and the cast/crew. I'm looking forward to running this show next weekend. I can't believe it's almost here! I guess it's time to click my heels and get back to reviewing my lines/songs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)