One Bad Apple

God, I would love to throw some people under the bus but I can't destroy professional relationships. I'm getting so tired of certain parts of my theatre life and I know a couple of friends that feel the same way.

Something has changed in my little community. There's still wonderful and kind people out there that would do anything to help me create a wonderful show and to them I am so grateful. But there are others who act so entitled and have no right to be that way. Where are they learning this behavior? It disgusts me.

It's one thing to have kids being somewhat troublesome. They're kids and they have to make mistakes to learn. Some of them need to be scared shitless. I'm good at that and I plan to have a Come To Jesus meeting with a few of them tonight. I am going to throw real, serious threats at them. I want them to understand how much a person's reputation affects whether or not they get into a show. I have the power to get them cast as well as to be shown the door. Some kids need to learn this stuff the hard way but I'm going to give a nice warning to this very small group. They've gotten away with murder in the past but NOT with this director.

Other people - I wish I could smack them in the head and tell them what I really think. Their sense of entitlement just slays me. Where the hell do amateurs get the idea that they are God's gift to the theatre world? I know that I have a God given talent but I'm not going to rub it in someone's face! I always am learning from every show I'm involved with. I am not perfect and I will always get better with each experience. I need to remain humble and open to criticism. I try to remember that ALWAYS.

I'm okay with most actors. This Negative Nancy group is a very small one thank goodness. But we all know it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch. Can all my 40+somethings hear the Osmond Brothers singing in your head now? You're welcome. :-)

I also don't understand people just phoning it in. Why not go all out every time? I don't mean sing loud, scream, dance full out every single time. I just mean give 150% and all your concentration. I am seeing 50% from lots of people. They don't get it. And there are all these little ones, learning from these very BAD examples. I'm telling you....ONE BAD APPLE is all it takes.

Okay.....I've dumped my negative feelings onto virtual paper and I feel so much better now. I'm going to give myself a nice attitude adjustment and try to accomplish a great deal before our first run through tonight. This show is going to be super cute. I'm excited about it. I'm glad that nothing can put a damper on my feelings toward directing and acting. I can decide who to NOT work with again but since I choose to put a positive spin the rest of this blog I am going to make a concerted effort to make sure that list does not get added to by anyone involved in my current production. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)