mileposts (mile markers)

I got to thinking about the guys (or gals) who actually measured the roads we drive on day in and day out. I can remember being a little kid travelling up I-5 on from California to here and looking for those darned mile markers. I'd get so excited knowing that we only had 150 miles to go, 100, 50, etc., etc. Someone had to actually measure the darned road! Everytime I am on a road trip w/my sweetie I look to see the distances on the handy dandy AAA map. I know this seems like a major rambling but I've been wondering who does all these bizarre jobs. I was reading (re-reading is more accurate) 'Harpo Speaks' by the famed pantomimist, Harpo Marx. He listed people with his favorite bizarre jobs and I think that mile marking has to be one of my favorites. Don't ask me why....I think it has more to do with the memories of my excitement when I was road tripping and a little kid w/my folks back in the 60's and 70's. Remembering those mile markers....I know it's a bit strange but what the hell. It's fun!

And on another milepost or mile marker of life: congrats to my dear friends, Kimberly and Jon on their soon to be new addition to the family! We all look forward to meeting him or her soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)