Another Winter in a Summer Town

I just glimpsed at a draft of a blog I wrote during the run of "Grey Gardens". I don't know why I didn't post it. It was a lovely tribute to a great audience - probably the night that folks who are related to the Beales (through Edie's father) came to see the show and praised me left and right. The greatest compliment they gave me was that I actually had the little things (mannerisms, vocal inflections and little facial expressions) down to a 'T'.  Wow! That was the night I felt I finally got this character right and I felt it all the way into my bones.

I know it was a hard road getting to that semi-comfortable point in the show. I dragged out figuring out how to memorize so much dialogue and music. I am such a procrastinator! Now that I know how my brain likes to work (took me all these years!) it's not a difficult process other than it's time consuming. I cannot wait for another opportunity to chew up some scenery in a  drama or musical drama. There are a couple of shows out there I'd love to do. Playing funny is always a joy but playing the not so funny/all too real/dysfunctional person we all hate to admit is related to us is definitely more of a wonderful challenge for an actor.

I did get a kudo from the local paper in the '2011 theatre in review' a couple of weeks ago. What a thrill that was! I know, I know.... I shouldn't value a critic's opinion so much but I'm just as guilty as the next actor of wanting critical praise. I didn't get the greatest review when he saw the show but then it was only the second night of the show and I was still scared to death of Act II. Act I was a breeze and that was the act he felt I was convincing in. Of course, I LOVE Act II more because playing Little Edie is much more enjoyable since she was so kooky. Don't get me wrong, Big Edith had beautiful traditional songs in Act I that I still love singing. Like I said, I like playing the off kilter characters more, not just the mean and manipulative ones (although they're fun too).

It's nice to look back on the show and know that I could go back now and do it again. I don't typically want to repeat shows but this one, I would. I know so much more now about those two crazy cat ladies and now that I am a cat lady too (I only have 2, not 28!) I can understand them so much better!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)