Say ahhhhhhh.....

Now spit!

Love that song from Little Shop. I think LS was one of my proudest moments as a director. The cast, crew, staff, designers, everything was perfect.

But I digress. I am thinking about the dentist. I had a serious consult with the orthodontist because my teeth are getting more crooked by the year. I didn't think my teeth were that bad but it turns out, they are that bad. I have to have serious surgery done on my upper jaw (known as SARPE) after I have braces on for about a year. Of course, I can schedule the surgery to fit my life and its situations since I'll be in the hospital and then basically in bed for 4-5 days after that. Then I have lots of major pain and meds and swelling - typical surgery issues. Then another year of braces and then I should have a perfectly aligned mouth, jaws and everything. According to everyone in the office, I will look 10 years younger. I could deal with that issue. :-)

I am getting a wisdom tooth pulled, and potentially losing another tooth that's cracked. I also have to have some periodontal work done but won't know until the dentist decides in what order things have to be done. They have to then consult with my orthodontist and decide when to put the braces on. I hate dental pain more than anything - it's not that I can't handle it. I had so much dental work as a kid that I have a pretty high threshold for pain. I just remember how badly it hurt and I'm not very happy about it.  I've had some searing pain in my mouth and jaw before. I literally wanted to punch holes in walls to distract myself.  I remember one time driving from Poulsbo to Silverdale hitting my jaw with my fist because it helped distract me from this awful pain. It was my jaw causing all this pain. I realize now how much trouble it's been causing me these past 5 years. I've had some serious moments of agony. I think I'm going to be in a lot of pain over the next 2-6 months.  Then I will get a break while I'm in braces. I can handle adjustments and such.... that will be a respite.

I've always been pretty brave when it comes to procedures. Yes, I get nervous but I usually stay calm. This time, I'm feeling worried. I don't like the idea of having nerves and muscles cut and/or detached. I am going to have some risk of losing feeling in parts of my face so it's going to be interesting to say the least. I am praying a lot about the whole thing but I know it's the right thing to do. I guess I just don't want to think about my upper palate being sliced open and having a bone graft done then having my entire jaw moved forward. In the long run it will save my mouth and jaw from all the pain and breakage I've been dealing with this past year. I am grateful for the technology we have that allows me to get this done.

I tend to obsess on things that worry me. I'll probably be doing a lot of research and then blogging about it. I know it will help me process all this and get to a good place in my mind. The calmer I can be, the better it is for my health. Less stress means healthier happier me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)