Makes the medicine go down.....

I always find myself trying to come up with compliments that I can say when I see a show that I either don't like to start with (the book or music, or both) or one that I didn't like the way it was directed, acted or designed (or a combination of the three).

I certainly appreciate all the hard work and effort that everyone put into it. I don't want to be unappreciative because I'm being critical. But..... I still find myself grasping at straws for the right way of saying something so that I'm not lying. I hate lying....

Ultimately, I end up doing just that. If I hate a show, there's little for me to say other than "You did a good job but I still hate the show." If I like the show but hate the actor's interpretation I pretty much have to say "You sure worked hard!" or "Congratuations! Good job!" I basically lie.

Did I say I hate lying? Because I really do. I want to be able to give constructive criticism but ultimately it's not my place nor is it appropriate unless I am asked to give it. Ironically thought, most actors don't really want your criticism. They want compliments.  So when I'm asked "How did you like the show?" I am at a loss so I lie.

I'm a wimp.  I suck. I can't tell them the truth. But I think ultimately, they don't want the truth. They want happy, joyful thoughts.

I think back to when I did a show back in 2001 which I will not name so I won't offend the director. My dear friend and CSTOCK founder, Dennis South came to see it (and me - gotta love the guy for supporting me all these years!). He is honest to a fault so I knew I would hear the truth from him. I will admit that this show is one of those 'I love the music but hate the book' shows so I wasn't expecting a lot of compliments. I was actually very uncomfortable in the role, wondering if I was too old and hoping my accent was genuine and worried about looking fat, looking too Asian, etc. Typical vanity for an actor, I would say.  So after the show, Dennis sidles up to me and whispers into my ear, "The director didn't tell you what to do, did he?" "You had to come up with most of your own blocking, didn't you?" Oh, and "I can tell when you're trying to think of something to do to fill the time." And lastly, "You did a good job considering you had no direction."

I wish I could be that blunt with everyone that asks me "Did you like it?" I wish I could say, "Well, you did the best you could with what you were given." or whatever thought that pops into my head. There are a few actors whom I can be this blunt with but the majority of people I know want to think I was entertained and loved at least 75% of the show. Rarely, does that happen to me. I am very picky and I even am my harshest critic when I do a show.

So I smile. I say "Good job!" I say "What a great show!" or some other b.s. just to soothe the savage beast.  Ugh.... I think I need to figure out how the heck to come up with criticism that can be taken with that spoonful of sugar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)