Life Upon the Wicked Stage

I have just started rehearsals for my latest show. Of course, being a musical I don't have to worry about interacting with actors at the moment since they're dancing and singing. Most of my job right now is to work with my staff on design and to answer any questions they might have about their part of the job.

I am always fascinated by how a show comes together and I always hope mine will come together easily. Inevitably there is something that goes wrong or someone causes a drama and creates more headaches but you barrel on through it. I felt better after reading Carolee Caramello's latest blog about her show that is currently at Seattle's 5th Avenue Theatre, "Saving Aimee." Here's her latest blog entry and it made me feel good to know that even a professional actor and theatre struggles just like we do. Considering I only have to interpret an established show rather than change, edit, cut and deal with writers, actors, etc., because of the constant changes makes me feel good. Granted, they do this for a living and they're at it 8-12 hours a day and I only get 2.5 hours with my actors 4 days a week so it's a little different. Still, they struggle. I don't feel so alone. :-)

September 30, 2011:
Well, tonight we'll do our first preview of Saving Aimee.... we'll have a real live audience! That's usually a thrill and a nightmare all at once. And this is no exception. The scary thing is that at this point so many things are not solidified. The set changes have not been completely worked out, the costume changes are still a bit hectic, and the script changes keep coming. We're on shaky ground, but there's no turning back now.
This is pretty normal for a show at this stage of the game .... especially a new musical, which is constantly in flux. I have to remind myself that it will get better. Maybe not tomorrow, or the next day, but things will settle eventually. The rough spots will get smoothed over and after a week or so of previews, we'll see if we have a good show on our hands.
So wish us luck! We'll need it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)