The final goodbye

One thing I have been meaning to write about is my mom's funeral. It was small and lovely, just the way I think she would have wanted it. I only put the info in the paper and let family and friends know. I wanted it to be a mass of celebration and hope and it was.

I will admit seeing my mom's ashes/urn at the church was a shock. The thought of her body being reduced to dust really got to me but Father David spoke so eloquently and gave me some sense of peace and understanding. He made my burden lighter considering it was the final 'goodbye'.

The parish choir ladies and the altar society were so sweet. They were so genuine in wanting to ease our grief - I have never felt so supported by so many people. My dear friend Mary Reynolds was the pianist for the service which also made the music so much better. Many wonderful friends stood by me as I tried to just get through the day.

Deacon Jim and the staff of Miller Woodlawn were also so wonderful as we held the Catholic rite of Committal and interred my mom's ashes next to my dad's that afternoon. I cried - truly cried when I placed that golden container away forever. Mark and Kimberly stood with me but I realized that was the last time the three of us: my mom, dad and I would ever be together in the physical sense on this earth. It really got to me when I touched both of their urns. I didn't see my dad's ashes get interred as I had to fly out of town the afternoon after his memorial service so that moment of placing them together in their vault is forever burned into my memory.

So it is done. And now, what is left is the legal stuff, the going through all the things in the house, sorting, throwing things out, saving some things, cleaning up, paying bills, etc. The world keeps turning, we all keep going on, living to see another day until it's our turn.

Goodbye, my lovely, sweet mother. I love and miss you so much. I look forward to the day I can see you again......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)