This recording will self-destruct in 30 seconds.....

Cue the Mission Impossible music!

I'm sitting here at CSTOCK at our interns meeting and reveling in how cool this workshop is. The 31 kids here are outstanding. They are so talented and I feel lucky to be here. The interns are learning how hard it is to direct and gaining a lot more respect for those of us who are crazy enough to do it, LOL.

This show has pre-recorded music which is a blessing and yet a curse. I love that I can use vocal tracks to help the kids learn their music. They are such quick studies and we were using the accompaniment tracks by the third day. I'm so impressed! With people who can't play the piano, these CDs are a godsend. They don't have to be able to read a full score and play like an expert. Teachers can relax and not worry about playing. That's the good part about it. The bad part is that there is no spontaneity allowed with recorded music. There is no way to jump around and follow the singer. The singer has no chance to use rubato.... So in essence, there is no control. We are locked into what is there.

Despite it all, the kids are doing well with it. I don't have to worry about playing a score and just have to hit a button on a CD player. It's s relief to sit and enjoy the show. My sanity is intact!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)