musical chairs

So it was a fun day of playing piano for a theatre audition today. I was pleasantly surprised at how many people brought music (rather than CDs) today. It gave me hope that all is not lost. As much as I am down on karaoke for auditions, I know how convenient they are and so I don't mind them showing up as long as they're appropriate and don't have the vocal track on them. You'd be surprised how often people used to bring in CD's of a song WITH the singer on the track. I haven't seen that happen lately and then with today's abundance of sheet music, I have found hope again that people want to sing with a live accompaniment.

It was a good day filled with lots of talented performers - I find it hard to see the numbers of auditioning actors that show up going down. Gone are the old days of 75-120 actors coming to an audition. Typically, there are about 35-40 showing up and usually too many girls/women. There's too many theatres with too many opportunities around here now. Now that's great for the actor but it kind of limits the director. 

I find it ironic that the current show I'm helping with has a small cast of women and it was like pulling teeth to get women to come to that audition. Here we are, attempting to do something that features the majority and yet hardly anyone came and we ultimately recruited to fill our cast. Luckily, the cast is amazing and a great fit so it was obviously a 'meant to be' kind of thing but it still burns me up that we have to fight to get anyone to show up.

I am slightly  preoccupied by the fact that my own show auditions in 7 weeks. I only hope we have a decent turnout as I also need a lot of guys and fewer women. I wish there were a way to do shows that really reflected the typical mix of people (lots of women and girls) but it's tough to find that kind of show anymore. Ugh....

Well, at least the summer workshops are going well and the kids are doing amazing things musically. I am so proud of these talented wonders. I can't believe how quickly they learn music (let alone lines!) and I look forward to putting the show on next weekend. Andrea has such a great program going and I'm proud to be a part of it this year.  I am in talks for doing more music with kids throughout the year and I am planning to expand my private teaching this school year. I'm really excited about the potential changes in my teaching/coaching.

I've also got a little something to think about in terms of performing. An opportunity has arisen and I'm not quite sure what's going to happen. I would have to definitely rearrange my schedule but it's definitely doable. I'm going to have to look at my calendar over the next few months and see! Kind of exciting and kind of scary all at the same time!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)