Stitch Fix #1 review

Finally getting around to blogging about my first experience with Stitch Fix!  This is such a great service - having your own stylist shop for you based on a survey you fill out! What fun! It was better than Christmas when I was opening up that box!

It was a super sunny day too.... I figured that was a good omen. :-)

I had an inkling of what was in the box since I had gone to the website and saw the actual inventory listing of what was sent!  Maybe I should be careful the next time they send me my order....I think I want to be more surprised next time!





So opening it I saw my return envelope (pre-paid - awesome) and my little envelope from my stylist! Seriously beyond excited.












So, here's my wonderful note from Richardo.... and yes, it's obvious he read my blog and my pinterest and anything I had because he mentioned my weight loss! VERY COOL POINTS for Richardo.









Here's the enclosed cards showing how to use the pieces they sent me. I think these cards (which you get to keep no matter what) are pretty cool.

I certainly liked everything they did with the clothes. I had just about everything they suggested minus the beige skirt. I guess because I've lost 5-6 dress sizes I really am missing some vital pieces in my wardrobe. I have a black skirt and a pink skirt...nothing else in that department. I think I need to shop some more!

I am still in winter/early spring mode here as well so having sleeveless tops or dresses isn't that easy. I have to continue to buy new clothes as each season progresses (I'm now pretty well set for winter, minus some more sweaters) so hopefully I'll be able to supplement my basics as we move forward into spring and summer.

So these Bay to Baubles Magnolia Delicate Carved Metal earrings were the one accessory item sent to me in my first Stitch Fix. I have to admit I wasn't super excited initially when I saw the box.

BUT.... I looked at them again and I realized that I own nothing like these earrings. I tend to go with skinny dangly earrings OR studs or very small hoops. I hate getting my hair caught in any earrings so I won't get too crazy with them. These had a delicate classiness about them and yet they were a little Bohemian and casual. I liked the versatility and the quality.  These earrings were $28.







This was the first piece of clothing sitting on top.  A Renee C Mesa Cargo Anorak Jacket in olive. It has stunning gold hardware on it. The snaps are very durable and it does have a big gold zipper on the collar (hiding a hood).

The sleeves had a roll up tab and snap on it so you can wear it about midway up your forearm. That's a nice touch for warmer weather.  It's also very light and has a silky lining.

There are gathers on the front waistline but it's smooth in the back, bordering on being a little flowy.

This jacket is $88.

Here's me modeling the jacket. It's really cute in the front. I found that the sleeves are too long for me unrolled and then a tad short to wear rolled all the time. I live in Seattle and when it rains, that kind of sleeve would be useless because the water would go up my very rolled up sleeves.

I also found that because the back of the jacket wasn't gathered I didn't like the way it looked. I know that's a little weird detail for me but I really like to show off my mid section now that I'm thinner. Light jackets shouldn't add bulk and for me, the looseness of the back did just that.

One other detail, well actually 2 that really drove me nuts were the puny, tiny and useless hood that was hidden in the collar. Anyone who designs a jacket with a hood should remember that people have bigger heads than the way they designed it.  The other thing that bugged me was that the front zipper (while very industrial) did not want to really work very well. I don't like having to wax or fix a zipper when I buy a jacket. I want it to work from the get go. I know $88 isn't a ton of money but it's still enough for me to want the zipper to work smoothly and consistently. So sadly I had to send this back. And it bugs me that I liked some details of it a lot!

This is the Pomelo Corrinna striped Dolman top in a light green. It's priced at $48. This is a soft knit top that borders on being as comfy as fleece.

I really wasn't that impressed when I first pulled it out of the box. I don't know....maybe I was thinking it was so casual and ordinary that I couldn't get super excited?

I kept reminding myself that this is my FIRST Stitch Fix and that I need to keep my mind open to the possibilities.  So I put the top on and I literally fell in love with the darn thing. It is so soft, so comfy, a little loose and yet fitted in just the right way. I was expecting the dolman sleeves to be too bat-wing like and they weren't. The stripes alternate on the cuff which was a great way to differentiate them from the sleeves.


Here I am modeling the top. I apologize for the no-makeup and no fancy hairdo and the messy bedroom! We are living in too much chaos right now since our closet decided to break down on us (i.e., we had to put in a whole new organizing system). I'm still in recovery from that....my house is a mess! (Wait...it's always a mess. I need to work on that.)

I tucked it in and it looked fine. BUT.....ultimately I just didn't see a need for a top like this. I have tons of casual t-shirt type tops and I just couldn't justify the almost $50 price tag for a heavier t-shirt.

I seriously thought about this for the entire 3 days you're allowed to keep the clothes while you make your decision. This is what kept me from sending things back until the end of day 3.  It's WAY TOO COMFORTABLE. Maybe I'll want one in the future....maybe if the color is a little more fun? I normally love green but this looked almost gray. I don't dislike gray (as a matter of fact I have lots of gray clothing) but I think green should look green.





Okay, here's the most unusual piece of the bunch. This is the 41Hawthorn Zappo Printed Mixed Material Sweater in navy. It's priced at $58.  The sweater is a beautiful dark blue...not my true definition of navy. The print is gold, beige, salmon and black. The front of the sweater is a poly blend of some kind and feels like a dress up blouse. The sleeves and back and bottom cuff are all the navy sweater knit.

Again, when I pulled it out I kind of said to myself 'ho-hum' to the print. I thought it looked good for work and business meetings but I thought the color was kind of dull and listless. I had to remind myself to wait until I tried it on before making judgements.




I didn't have a beige/tan skirt like the card recommended (hear that SF stylists?) so I grabbed my pink (VERY pink - probably too pink!) skirt just to get an idea of how it would look.

The sweater itself felt really comfortable. It felt very granny like though.... it's a little loose on the bottom  and the sleeves were a tad bit too long for me. That's an ongoing problem with me though, I have short arms and a broad back/shoulders. Not the greatest combination I know. I have to look for petite but half the time it doesn't fit. So it's back to regular sizes and rolling up sleeves. Hmmm....

The sweater is thin and good for spring and summer. In the right situation I might have loved it but I still think it was drab and too old for me. I'm kind of bummed because at this point I was kind of striking out on my first Stitch Fix.




Which led to my final piece in the collection, the Kensie Jeans Johnny Skinny Jeans at $88.  OMG - these jeans are amazing!  I was sent a size 29 which fit me so nicely. Not too tight and the length was perfect. The denim was a lovely dark blue and the material had lots of stretch and give and a good thickness too.

I wore these around the house for at least 2 hours with all the tags hanging and loved them the entire time. I almost left the house in them!

The stickler for me was #1. the price and #2. I just bought a pair of jeans and hadn't even worn them yet. I paid far less than $88 for them and they look just as good if not better. Granted, Kensie Jeans are amazing and I really do love them. The quality is excellent! I truly wanted to keep them but I just couldn't explain that to my husband who always lets me keep anything I want. (Yes, he spoils me, even though we're on a tight budget!) I am always trying to find good sales and bargains and paying full price for these jeans just didn't fly.  So... I duly noted in my comments that I would love them in the future and maybe they could find me a nice spring/summer colored pair?

Because I've lost a lot of weight I also am wary to buy more pants that fit me so perfectly. I know this is a weird thing to say but I've had to buy at least 10 pairs of pants over the past 8 months because I've lost weight and I just didn't want to keep a pair if they end up becoming too big for me in the near future. I border between a size 8 and a size 6 in brands so I have to be able to justify the purchase. I'm all for quality and I am willing to pay full price if it's the 'right' clothing item.

I realized as I was looking at all my shoes this weekend  (I'm an Imelda Marcos in the making, folks) none of these items truly cut it. I have a pretty eclectic collection of shoes (from casual, to business to funky to rock and roll!) as well as lots of scarves and necklaces. I'm typically casual chic in style and I love jeans and sneakers, wearing no make up, pulling my hair back in a ponytail and wearing yoga pants, etc., but I want a little more fun clothes if I'm going to pay for a stylist.

So there you have it. That was my first Stitch Fix experience. Despite the fact that I didn't keep any of the clothes (and I really do love my new earrings!) I think this was a great experience and I'm looking forward to my next Stitch Fix. I think Richardo did an excellent job based on my profile but it felt a bit too safe and ordinary. He nailed my normal casual, everyday look and style - almost too well. So bravo to Richardo... he read me correctly. I don't think I've ever ordered a pair of pants online sight unseen that worked as well as the Johnny skinny jeans. That is a huge deal to me!

Even though my first stitch fix may have seemed unsuccessful, it really was a spot-on success in my book. I think everything was 'right' for me.  If you think about it, I'm a person who has made a radical change in her life and I've gone from a size 16/18 to a size 6/8 in 8 months. I literally have no clothes that fit me anymore as I haven't been a size 6/8 since high school. I'm 51, people....you think I kept any of my clothes from 1980? (Well......I do have a couple of things!) I am having to buy all new clothes as each season progresses and I'm still losing a little more weight and getting into a pretty serious active lifestyle. I know my body is going to continue changing so the purchase of clothes will have to continue as my body changes. A tough problem to have....seriously. It gets expensive! Even my shoes are getting too big for me. I'm having to give away some of them! And trust me...it's hard to give some of them away. I have very COOL shoes.

 If you want to give this service a try, it only costs $20 up front. The cool thing is that you get to put the $20 towards your purchase and if you buy all 5 items you get 25% off! That alone makes it worth getting brand new clothes and jewelry, I think. I look forward to being able to say "I'll take the whole box!" on my next order!  If you want to try this here is a referral link to Stitch Fix. I get a little discount which you can also take advantage of once you place your first order too!

My next delivery is the first week of April.... I'll be sure to report back when it arrives!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)