Stop with the excuses, okay?

I'm blogging the same post on both my blogs today. It's focused on diet so I figured 'why not?' 

I have become a huge proponent of the low carb/high fat lifestyle. Granted, while I'm on IP I can't do that much fat but a healthy 'low' amount is approved so that weight loss won't stall. Since IP is about being in ketosis (burning the fat reserve already in the body) they don't want us adding too much more. I'm not talking about doing Atkins after IP since that allows for too much fat, almost to the point of being grossed out by it. This is more about the newer 'Wheat Belly' or basic ketogenic diet. Almost all gluten/sugar is cut out from your diet in IP but will be slowly reintroduced after reaching your weight loss goal. Part of the reason I want to switch over to Wheat Belly after IP is that it continues to encourage little to no gluten and sugar, actually less than IP maintenance. I know it works because I've started eliminating it from Mark's diet and while he is still enjoying some gluten/sugar (but NOT FOR LONG!) he's lost about 10 lbs just eating a healthy lunch and dinner.

I don't talk too much about IP to friends and acquaintances because diet is a touchy subject. I figure if someone has reached their rock bottom, they will talk to me about it.  I've had several friends approach me and while one of them has started IP  (it's not cheap!), another two  have started doing it on their own (basic ketogenic diet). I'm really proud of them because it's harder to do it on your own. They're both seeing successes so far and that's terrific.

I have had others who are doing other plans and complain that they're not getting what they want. Well.....then why stay on those plans? We did Nutrisystem for 3 months and HATED it. I lost 16 lbs and gained it all back plus another 5. It does not teach you how to eat correctly in the real world. Most plans don't. That's what is so frustrating. Some programs have coaches which is marvelous but others expect you to read the little booklet and make it happen. These programs don't take into consideration, hormones, food allergies, etc., and I think it's a recipe for disaster. Some of these plans also allow 'fat-free' products which are so loaded with sugar that we're basically poisoning our bodies. How the heck can a diet plan allow for that? Fat-free is BAD stuff.

I was at Starbucks last Saturday and the gal in front of me ordered a non-fat 7 pump sugar-free caramel latte. I almost choked when I heard that order. Granted, she wasn't overweight but I could tell she wasn't in shape and had lots of flab. And not knowing her actual body fat percentage (and I think it's probably pretty high) I really can't do anything except look at appearances. But seriously, do you know how much sugar is in that crap she ordered? Non-fat (or fat-free) garbage has so much freakin' sugar in it!  The 7 pump part was pretty hysterical but at least Starbucks uses mostly Splenda based products. If there's aspartame based sugar free syrups being used, well that's basically pouring a lot of poison into our bodies. Splenda isn't great but it's a heck of a lot better. But still, 7 pumps?

I'm sure when she heard me order my grande brevè latte she probably had a heart attack and thought 'poor girl, she's going to get so fat drinking that half-n-half' but I'll tell ya what - my body is using that fat and burning it off because I'm not eating any sugar (other than what's in the dairy I had that day). Since I'm so restricted on the amount of dairy I do eat (NO cheese or additional milk on IP until I get into maintenance) I'm doing just fine, thank you. 

This is the crappy information I fight through constantly. I've had people tell me I'm not doing the healthy thing. Seriously folks....I've lost almost 51 lbs and my body fat percentage is 3 to 5 points away from being 'fit'! I think I know what I'm doing......

I've had people tell me I've lost too much weight. Folks.... lay off. I am being monitored by professionals. I think they know what they're doing.....

I've had people tell me they'll stick with 'their' plans because it works. Well...have you had yourself tested lately? Are you overweight? Are you diabetic? Do you have high cholesterol or hypertension? Arthritis? Stomach or intestinal ailments? Circulation problems? Do your knees, hips and feet want to die at the end of the day? If you're on a 'plan' and any one of these things still exist, then your plan isn't working. Foods have so many hidden chemicals, sugars, etc., and with all the GMO wheat products in our lives we are basically poisoning ourselves while we think we're eating 'healthy'.  Stripping away all the fats out of our diets have also created havoc in our bodies. Notice that we're getting more and more obese as a nation? Young people are starting their lives out fat even before they hit 10 years of age? Everything we eat (fast food, snack foods, non-fat products, gluten) are all laced with chemicals and sugar.

I've read and had medical professionals tell me that cancer feeds on sugar. CANCER FEEDS ON SUGAR. What are we constantly ingesting? SUGAR. We are making our bodies a wonderful laboratory for growing cancer. That one scared me. I realized I may have just saved myself from a fate that IS death. I eat very little sugar, enough to stay healthy and have good brain and organ function. And I feel great.

So......stop with your excuses that 'you can't cut out carbs out of your diet.' Guess what? You can. If I can do it, anyone can. I was a serious carb addict. I LOVED pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, wheat, sugar and anything made from them. In my mind, I still love them too. But my digestive system hates them. My joints hate them. My body in general hates them. After the first 5 days being almost carb free and having one bad headache and stomach attack, my cravings for them stopped. I still eat some 'sweets' that are approved on the IP plan but they're made with splenda, stevia, xylitol, etc. They really satisfy my sweet tooth. I actually love veggies now and look forward to eating them every day. I haven't had a piece of fruit in 6 months (sugar) and don't miss them. I look forward to having them again but I don't crave them. And I love meat. I seriously can't wait to have a steak, a hamburger (minus the bread), fish, chicken, turkey, pork, etc., for dinner. I enjoy eating meat so much I will never be a vegetarian! I don't really fry foods much, and I don't miss it. Baking, roasting, poaching, broiling has become a way of life. Food really tastes good this way. 

I grew up eating meat, potatoes, and a veggie on a plate followed by dessert. I also ate lots of rice (I'm Japanese, come on!). Pizza - well, it was cheap and easy so that was a part of life too! Because of IP, I now have a lot of meat and veggies followed by an approved snack. No potatoes or rice or pasta. I don't miss it. I promise after a few weeks of eating this way you won't miss it either. And you'll lose weight if you use real milk, grass fed butter, nuts, and coconut/grapeseed oils. As long as you're not allergic to any of those foods, your body will thank you. Get the sugar out of your lives.... you won't regret it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)