So long, farewell

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehn, Goodbye
I am writing with a very heavy heart today. The dog I have known for nearly 16 years finally made her way to the Rainbow Bridge. Jessie was nearly 17 years old - a miracle for any breed let alone a Shar Pei. Her breed has an average lifespan of 8-10 years so everyday she was alive was a major miracle.

She was such a calm and dignified dog for most of her life. I actually accused her of being more cat than dog (hence her nickname, Catdog). She was funny and loyal - she would always lay by your side or by your door at night keeping guard and watching over us. She loved being outside, watching over her huge yard on sunny days, even with that black fur coat of hers absorbing all that heat. She stayed by my dad's side as he got close to dying. She was my mom's shadow when she was alone making sure she would never be "alone".

Saying goodbye to Jessie - March 20, 2012.
We kept her with us for the last 17 months of her life. She wasn't supposed to survive her mom and dad. She was deaf, nearly blind and constantly peeing on things besides the grass. She drove us crazy with her surprise wet spots but we still loved her. I can't believe the little black
wrinkly fur-ball I met at the breeders almost 16 years ago is gone from
my life. She was a touchstone to my now departed family. She made life seem more livable to me - reminding me that I wasn't the last of my Fisher family. Now though, I have to face that fact.

Thank you, Jessie for everything you gave me. I feel like another small part of me has died with you but to know you are now truly alive with no pain, clear vision, 100% hearing, and playing with our mom and dad gives me great joy. I will miss you so much, my little Catdog. You were grace and dignity and pure love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)