It's a world of laughter, a world of tears

Oy veh.....my mom always told me the worst part of getting old was watching everyone around you die. Eventually one of you is left standing and you are alone.

I still wonder what she was doing the day she died. Since I didn't have the luxury of speaking to her that day, I don't know if she was feeling okay or not. I still cry now and then and I still hurt every day thinking about it. I try not to let it eat away at me like it used to. I just hope that she went quickly. She was still warm when I found her so I know it couldn't have been too long. Still, the guilt wreaks havoc in me - I wonder if there was anything I could have done differently leading up to that day.

My beautiful mom was 80 when she left this world. She didn't look much over 60-ish so when I heard about Davy Jones (of the Monkees) dying last Wednesday I was so dumbstruck. He was one of my childhood crushes and I always admired him. Davy was only 66 when he suffered a massive heart attack. He was a young 66 - healthy and active so I am sure it was quite a shock for his family, let alone the rest of the world. So many people have said how they felt a part of their childhood died on that day. I totally relate to that. It's strange how someone we never knew affected us so much in life and death.

I just read today that another man who I never knew but affected me in more ways passed away a few hours ago. Robert Sherman (the lyricist along with his brother Richard wrote much of Disney's music for the movies, television and for Disneyland) died at age 86 after a long battle with ill health. He led a somewhat tortured life, I think. Yes, he had many great moments and opportunities but he was one of those people you could look at and see that he was carried the weight of the world on his shoulders. Despite his troubles, he still managed to use words to write some of the world's best songs.

Like me, I bet you cursed the day you heard "It's A Small World (After All)" because it somehow got under your skin and would never leave! He made me cry every time I heard "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins and jump for joy every time I'd hear Louis Prima and Phil Harris sing "I Wanna Be Like You" from Jungle Book.

Their catalog of songs is absolutely amazing. Too often, their music was labeled children's music and overlooked in some circles because it was a Disney movie. Now I am happy to see how many people truly recognize what a brilliant team Bob and Dick Sherman were.

Coming back to the first part of my little story, I am starting to feel like I'm playing that game of musical chairs and watching people leave the party and leaving the rest of us behind. I know we can't take advantage of our time here on earth. We don't know if we'll be alive 10 seconds from now. We need to to live for now and not for tomorrow. We have to take advantage of all the opportunities that are handed to us at this moment for we may not be here tomorrow to enjoy it.

Good bye, Davy. I will forever be sorry that I didn't get to see you perform live. I am grateful to have old tv shows and YouTube videos to remember you by. The little girl in me adored you way back when and I still adore you today.






Bob Sherman (lyricist) & Dick Sherman (music)
Bob, I have such a heavy heart knowing that you are no longer writing such beautiful lyrics. We are lucky to have our books, DVDs, and CDs of your wonderful songs. What a legacy you left us - to be able to sing/play your songs is such an honor and such a gift.

Rest in peace my friends. I know you are in a place of joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)