You'd Better Wise Up.....

Seriously, I am living a double life theatrically. I'm helping to music direct 'Rocky Horror Show' and just started rehearsals for "White Christmas" which I am directing. Can you imagine doing a mashup of music from those two musicals? It's almost like my brain is having seizures when it hears "Rose Tint My World" against "Snow, Snow, Snow".  Luckily for me, my music rehearsals don't clash with my directing schedule. It's just strange having the music from these two shows running through my brain like they do at 1:30 in the morning.

I looked back at my Sept. 11th blog and while I had every right to worry I am glad that I got enough actors and dancers for my show and I'm very happy with the caliber of talent. What really gets to me though is the insane conflicts that performers now throw at us. I cannot, in my mind even think of being in more than one show at a time. I used to go from show to show when I was younger (and single) but to even contemplate that now would send me to the funny farm.

I am so frustrated. Trying to create a rehearsal schedule will be virtually impossible but we're just going to muddle through and do what we can. I know I will always be missing an actor at every rehearsal until we get to the last couple of weeks. I pray that I can have the patience and focus to not tear my hair out in frustration when I need an actor and they're not there.

I'm not trying to preach the gospel here but I do wish that actors would realize what a difficult situation they create. Rather than taking every show that comes your way, save yourself for the one you really want. Take a break here and there to recharge and focus on taking a class to improve your skills.

Okay, I've ranted. Despite the craziness of this schedule - I am still happy with the people I have cast. I just hope that I can be patient and be understanding when those conflicts start affecting rehearsals. I need to remember what Bob & Betty said: When I am worried and I can't sleep, I count my blessings instead of sheep and you'll fall asleep counting your blessings."

I think I'll take up that mantra and call it a night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)