Caught in the crossfire

Oh, how I love Stevie Ray Vaughn and this song. I'm relating to it in more ways than one right now.

I am finding myself at a bit of a loss right now. I am soon to be happily ensconced in directing a show that I love but am wondering if there will be enough quality performers to cast it. There are so many theatres around here and so many that are doing musicals at or near the same time. Beyond that, there are more theatres in the next county that actors are migrating to and of course some go to the big city and try their luck there as well.

There once was a time when there were only 3 to 5 theatres in this county. Now there are at least 9 plus 3 or 4 more in the next county that actors like to flock to.  Once there was only one theatre exclusive to musicals. Now this county has 4 plus there's one in Tacoma that takes a lot of our talent. What makes things more difficult is that there's never enough men to fill a roster so you're always scraping, begging and borrowing to get those roles filled and now those actors are probably already committed to another production. There always seems to be ladies around, and new ones always are coming around so it's not as bad in that department. Still, the quality may be compromised so there are times when you may not get what you really want.

I never like to settle and haven't had to really do that before. I'm actually afraid of that becoming the norm for most or all directors. I like having more to pick from because the competition tends to bring out the best in actors. 

I'm also seeing some bad behaviors in actors (and to a certain extent, directors and other staffers) that didn't used to be there. Yes, there's always divas, tempers, some tardy folks, etc., to deal with but this goes even deeper. I'm seeing a sense of entitlement, rudeness, and a lack of organization on all levels. Now, this isn't a consistent thing, but I'm seeing enough of it to wonder what the heck is going on. Are we slipping in quality? I think the answer is "yes."

I have a high level of expectations for my productions. I expect some basic rules to be followed:
1) leave your personal problems at the door
2) the only drama in the theatre should be on the stage
3) be polite
4) no drugs/alcohol
5) be on time
6) stay focused
7) don't waste time
8) have fun

There are some acting etiquette rules too:
1) don't direct or correct other actors
2) don't break character
3) don't touch other people's costumes, props or scripts
4) wear deodorant and take daily showers, if you have kissing scenes please brush your teeth and don't eat foods that have strong odors
5) don't upstage fellow actors
6) be quiet when the directors are talking
7) always have a pencil and your script
8) work on your lines and/or music, do run thru's with your fellow actors if there's any down time.

It's not that difficult to follow. From what I'm seeing, I'm seeing a few of these rules constantly being broken. I'm hoping that once I get my casting done and we settle down and have a conversation, they'll understand that I don't put up with B.S. I'm there to use time as efficiently as possible because I respect them enough to not waste their valuable time.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have some great people who want to put on the best show and leave their egos at the door. I want to have an outstanding production that people will flock to and rave about. The joy of seeing a great show - there's nothing like it. To have an audience appreciate all your hard work is so wonderful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)