Leader of the Pack

Birdie is my beautiful Sheltie. She is a retired show dog with many championships to her name. She had just turned seven the day we picked her up from the breeder. It's been only a little over 10 months since we got her but she immediately became part of our family.

If truth be told, we were actually concerned about how she would get along with our two Maltese dogs. Well, actually one Maltese in particular. :-)

Turns out, everything was fine between the three dogs. Birdie was my Sentry. She always guarded the house like a good dog would.

It seems that some fairytales aren't meant to last. Our beautiful girl is dying. She was diagnosed two weeks ago with failing kidneys. Our wonderful vet gave us the bad news – we had days left, not years.

It looks like we'll be saying goodbye to her tomorrow or by Friday at the latest. We can't bear to see her suffer any longer. It's the right thing to do. As much as it hurts us to let her go we can't let her suffer just because we don't want to lose her.

I'm going to miss her so much. These past 10 months have flown by. Even though I feel somewhat robbed of the potential 4 to 7 years we could've had, I know we've had wonderful times together. She was meant to finish her days with us. I feel honored and privileged to have been able to have her as a part of my family.

Mama loves you Birdie girl. I'll see you in heaven some day and that makes me happy despite the tears I shed right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)