We Didn't Start The Fire

So......

I'm sitting here after reading a very long email from someone who is upset and angry with an organization. They chose to cut their ties and then another person chose to follow suit and do the same thing.

I have to admit that I understand why they are upset. Without getting into great detail as I'm not at liberty to discuss it, there were some actions taken against some people that were perceived as mean and just plain wrong. I was not a part of the originating decision but I am very much affected by it.

Of course, there are two sides to the story. Anger is blinding however, and it is extremely difficult for some to see things for how they truly are.  Even I was angry at first but I had made a commitment to follow through on something. I chose to stay and try to work through things and if I couldn't resolve it, then I would walk away once my time was done.

Well.....fast forward to 9 months later and I'm seeing a much clearer picture. I have resolved some of the situation in my mind but I feel there are still issues to be dealt with. Time is definitely needed to let some hurt feelings subside and there needs to be dialogue to truly resolve what happened all those months ago.  Unfortunately, there hasn't been dialogue because those hurt feelings are still flaring like a bad injury. Now, those hurt feelings are spreading toward others and very dramatic actions are being taken......sigh.

I definitely think some separation is needed for these folks that are hurting. I also think they need to not make defiant stands that they will regret later. Time is a healer of all wounds and a simple conversation  or two or three (and maybe some difficult ones too) need to happen in order to resolve things.

Please, please, please remember that taking a stand and defending your friends is important. I think it is very healthy to do so.  But being melodramatic, saying "I quit" and "I won't be back until you apologize."doesn't always help the situation. In fact, I think it exacerbates it.  It will burn you and you'll be remembered as the quitter that couldn't stick it out through a difficult situation. There are ways to fight and defend actions.

I don't think quitting or resigning is a bad thing. I think that being honest and stating your opinion is a good policy. But throwing ultimatums for your return is not the way to do it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)