And back to our regular programming

I hope to start getting more into the foodie & now DIY blog stuff again shortly. I'm a little more focused on life events right now since we're dealing with a few things. Hoping that I'll have some good news to herald on the new job horizon shortly.....

In the meantime, I have heard from two theatres so I know I'll be directing a musical and a play next season and that makes me very happy. We're not talking big pay but it's something I love doing. Can't wait to start working on designs and such..... I can't wait to say the names of the shows. REALLY psyched!

I have been doing a lot of soul searching and praying lately, especially with the difficulties we've been facing lately. I have strong faith though, and I know Mark and I are being guided and watched over. We also have terrific friends trying to steer us toward new careers and make sure we're doing okay. For all that, I am so VERY grateful. I can only hope I can be such a good friend to others when they're in need.

My other thoughts have been a little more observational. I live in a small community. We're talking towns between 10k to 40k with lots of county land that's populated. The county is small as well. So I live in a small county so if you don't know everyone, you certainly still know many.

I do a lot of community theatre and so that makes the community even smaller. People know people in this business as everyone hops around to act, sing, dance, direct, paint, build, you name it. It's a great way to make friends but it's even easier to ruin your reputation if you are a rude, insensitive human being. I have been observing more and more 'bad' behavior in actors and some directors lately. I don't understand how or why these people think it's acceptable to be so childish and bratty. All it takes is one call or email from one director to another saying "Don't cast this person if you value your sanity." and that's it. Black list. Done.

We directors aren't typically mean. Some are downright pushovers which is what causes these bratty actors to continue their behavior. Even so, that "easy" director eventually comes around and says, "I'm not casting that person again." because they realize they don't have to work with them.

I just shake my head and wonder what the heck happened to good manners and professional behavior? I swear parents are supposed to teach their kids good behavior and usually it sticks. I am just amazed by it all.

I did send a friend and fellow director an email a little while back suggesting he/she not cast a couple of people I have worked with. I did tell another director friend not to cast someone and while they didn't follow my advice I do think they learned something. I've been told this actor will probably be put on the suggested 'do not cast' list (FYI - there is no real paper list. We just discuss casting with our theatre boards and staff members and typically there's a couple of people they suggest we not cast for our own sanity!)

So.....remember to be professional and show common courtesty. Actors are replaceable - really.....you are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)