toward the finish line

Well, I'm into what's affectionately known as "Hell" week for my show. Hell Week is the final week of rehearsal leading right into the opening performances of the production.

I've got to admit that this has been the lowest stress directing job I've ever had. My crew has been top notch and doing most of the work and allowing me to just say 'yea' or 'nay' most of the time. It's been a joy to watch the show come together and I'm happy with where we are except for the fact that I've got actors missing part of the final week. I couldn't help it though. I had the smallest turnout of actors at my auditions that I've ever experienced and luckily I did manage to get what I needed but the cost I paid was having actors missing rehearsals left and right. I don't want to go through this again and will probably start recruiting actors more if this is the trend.

Anyway, things have been going smoothly and while I'm sure I get talked about behind my back (all actors do this) I've sure enjoyed my experience thus far. I've not been as aware as I would have liked to have been but generally I've done okay work. I'd like to have more time to work with actors but I'm so conscious of letting them go home at a decent hour that I let some things slide. IF this were my full time job I'd be so with it and much more organized. I'm hoping that'll happen for me this year.... we shall see.

I've had some disappointments with this production that I would love to just put out there but I don't really want someone to find their names on this, my mostly private blog. Those of you who find me and read it, that's totally cool. Just remember, it's a very small world here in my little corner of the Puget Sound. ;-)

Anyway, the disappointments have been some lack of commitment and some 'know it all' behavior. I know that the people I'm referencing are not trying to be mean but I'd love to say 'walk a mile in my shoes' and try to deal with someone who is behaving like you. See how nice you can be to them. Ugh.... there's always a little something going on in a show but luckily most of my problems have been minor. We're keeping our eyes on someone who may possibly not be a teetotaller but other than that, it's pretty much smooth sailing.

I am looking forward to this weekend when we're up and running. I'll get a 'minor' break (except for having an understudy popping in) and then my kids' show commitment kicks in. Shouldn't be too stressful and I'm hoping to be in a new job before September so I don't have to deal with the stress of rental season ever again. I am tired of what I've been doing for the last 7 years.... I'm ready for a change.

Okay.... back to positive thinking and good thoughts. Too much rambling going on here! Must be tired so I'm off to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)