Out with the old and in with the new

So it's been a busy month already.... and to top it off.... 2 inches of snow this morning? It's melting though.... because it went from 32 degrees to about 40 in the last couple of hours!

I haven't seen snow this late since I was on the east coast. This has been the weirdest year.

So.... our one act competition was last week and we did about as well as could be expected. We had some issues with sound, with the competition running so early that we held up the show waiting for Daryl (which about gave me a heart attack) and then the cast having to warm up and get used to electronically produced sound rather than an acoustic piano during our 10 minutes of set up. It was still amazing though and we kicked some major ass. We are the only theatre out of 11 that got a standing ovation and I think we honestly were the best production there.

No.... we didn't win. And honestly, I am okay with that. I think that musicals still face a huge stigma in our state's competition and while the mountain isn't nearly as big as it used to be, it's still there. The adjudicators' notes were fine.... but they didn't say anything constructive enough to get us the win. However, we got 3 awards and the one that mattered the most which was the 'Washington Treasure' which embodies what is 'best about community theatre.' Voted by the WSCTA members, it meant the most to me and I feel so honored that we got to bring that one home. It's the only travelling award so we have the right to tout our award winning production for the next 2 years! It's also enough for us to enter for the World Theatre Festival! Hah!

Theatre's been a lifesaver for me. It's kept me sane during the worst of times. I will admit these past few months have been hard, and the last couple of weeks even more so. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve so it's been obvious that I'm stressing. Even the last couple of days have been beyond annoying. Luckily, I've got a great board president to lean on and she's really combatting the problems head on. I think we're in the midst of a huge and important change and while that's scary it's also really amazing and wonderful. The bumps in the road are irritating though and hopefully we'll be able to communicate with the people involved and create an even better place for everyone.

Beyond that, work's been hell (not the work so much... but dealing with people). I'm tired of retail like you wouldn't believe and need to get myself out of it. I'm revamping my resume and starting to apply for other gigs soon. I hope to be out by August 1.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)