workin' it out

Well, I once again am trying to get back on the exercise 'wagon.' I have a variety of exercise DVD's in my collection so there's no excuse other than I'm being a lazy bum! It's really a crime that I have this incredible library and I let it sit for such a long time! Oh well, I figure one gets into getting in shape when they either 'hit bottom' or are forced by some catastrophic event.

I think I have been in major denial about my age (after all, it is just a number) and didn't realize how much weight I was beginning to retain without any changes in my lifestyle. So I have read up, watched the infomercials, tried the diets (I had some luck w/the Atkins plan a couple of winters ago) but realized it's old fashioned exercise and diet that works along with lowering one's stress levels and trying to be happy. Oh yes, and taking vitamins and supplements and drinking water too!

Along the way I got into Winsor pilates (didn't work other than to help my core get stronger) for awhile but I didn't see a difference (they say you'll see it in 10 days....yeah right). Then I saw an infomercial for Billy Blanks who I think is pretty cool. I got the program but I just couldn't get into it (I know I will use it as I get stronger on the program I'm doing now though) and then one 3 am morning I saw an infomercial for an exercise program called 'Slim in 6' that looked doable but still was tough. I tried it several times but I kept getting sick about 3 weeks into the program which then meant I would stop because I didn't have the energy while I was fighting the colds. What a vicious cycle....I didn't realize that I could have rested for those days and then jumped back in whenever it felt right. Even stretching (which this program advocates big time) would have been enough while I was getting better. So almost a year later I'm trying this again. I have also purchased a couple of other programs from the same company because I realize while I like routine I get bored PDQ once I learn them. So as I progress this time I'm trying to incorporate a few other programs in (which is why I know I'll start working w/Billy B. soon!). Luckily these programs incorporate yoga stretching which I'm slowly beginning to appreciate. I am always battling a pinched nerve and that seems to really help. I haven't gone to the chiropractor (which maybe I should) but I notice everytime I've worked out these past 2 weeks I feel 100% better around that sore hip area.

So I'm trying to not look so far ahead. Rather, I'm taking it a day at a time. And if I fail so be it. I can start up the following day and it's a clean slate. So far I've managed 10 days (Slim in 6 is a 6 day a week program that lasts 6 weeks) so I'm proud of me. I'm working out late at night (yes, I AM crazy) but I have been hating getting up in the morning lately so that's the reason for my craziness. I may try to start getting up earlier again next week to see how I feel in comparison. I may even do doubles since I've got so many different programs on DVD. I know I'm hooked on shopping for them, LOL! I just got Gunnar Peterson's Core Secrets program and I ordered a yoga/ballet program from Beachbody last week. I am NUTS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)