Sugar, sugar

Well, it's been 2 months exactly since I started on the diet/exercise/change-your-life plan.  I'm still doing acupuncture (Mark and I paid for me to get the 'full meal deal') and it's really helped get rid of 99% of my headaches and helps with the lower GI issues. That's been a godsend....

Nutrisystem was a good start for me but I got really bored with the food...practically immediately. What it really taught me was food portions! Wow, I really do eat like a guy!  I could eat lots and lots of food and I didn't realize how much I was putting in my belly. I could do 2 servings (and sometimes 3) of pasta, especially my favorite bolognese or my sesame noodles. Luckily, the measuring and calorie checking has really opened my eyes to what I was actually ingesting and why I was gaining so much.

Nutrisystem works hard to lower your sugar intake which was good for me too. Not that I was having much in the way of sweet tooth issues but the desire to eat candy and cookies has really come down. The problem for me still is sugar. Sugar is in all the white starchy carbs that I love like bread, rice and potatoes and cereal. Dairy products have sugar in them although I'm allowed to eat that. Anyway, the changes are required and I need to cut these things out of my life so I can get my diabetes under control. Yes folks, I am diabetic. I haven't had to go back into the doctor for anything immediate since I'm already on a diet and trying to lose weight and avoid sugar.  I was certain I'd have to go back into the doctor's office once my lab results came back but since my random test showed that my glucose was normal she's taking that into consideration.  So in the interim, I'm attempting to completely revamp my diet and lifestyle.

So now I'm eating 'normal' foods that I prepare. I am staying on a higher lean protein diet and avoiding much of the carbs that spike my blood sugar. Fruits are a general no-no for now (I'm allowed to cheat a little though). Eating brown rice is okay, lots of fiber, leafy greens, etc. Luckily, nuts, oils, butter, cream and other higher fat content items are okay as long as I use moderation. Desserts are pretty much out except for my weekend cheat days.

At this point I'm almost to 16 lbs lost since June 24th. I'm pretty stoked about that and hope that I'll be 25 lbs lower by the end of September. I'm not exercising hard but moving a lot. I've got exercise dvds to do but with Mark's mom around I don't have the privacy to do them. She'll be gone in October so I'll be glad to have my space back.

It is definitely nice to be able to wear my clothes from the last couple of years again and hopefully I'll be in my clothes from 3-4 years back soon. I'm almost halfway to my ultimate weight loss goal and that is an awesome feeling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)