a theatrical love letter

I wrote this blog on my facebook and myspace pages but feel it really belongs here more than anyplace else.

My theatrical love letter:

I am scratching my head in amazement at the process of putting together a production yet again. It never ceases to amaze me what kind of work it takes to 'put on a show.' One of my previous blogs mentioned the importance of the word 'community' in community theatre and it's never as important as it is right now. I liken this experience to being the captain of a big ship. I am only overseeing the actions of the ship whilst all these amazing people are designing, building, sewing, painting, singing, lighting, acting, and gluing things. Yes, I told people where to stand. Yes, I even did some choreography. I even try to make people as funny and as natural looking as possible. Ultimately, it took a village to create this little entity called 'Once Upon a Mattress.' A lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into this show and I can hardly wait to see what happens tomorrow night.

A lot of people tell me that there are some who take this too seriously. Well, I beg to differ. Okay...wait: I'll agree a little bit at first. Yes, there are some who worry too much about the other things and people around them. You'd think they'd be worried about their own 'stuff' rather than droning on about other issues that really don't concern them. I put them into the taking it 'too seriously' column. There's the occasional newbie who tries to be too helpful and doesn't follow the chain of command - and that's because they're new and don't know the rules - yet. They will learn....

There are some who take it seriously in the 'right' way though. They're the ones who stay late and make sure the set pieces are safe for others. There's another who bedazzles a piece so it looks beyond medieval. There's others who go to the craft store every other day because the director keeps changing her mind. And there are others who travel longer distances than me who do this because they obviously love it.

I feel a great responsibility to the organization who pays for this enterprise we call the 'musical'. They've paid a lot of money for the rights, the rental, the rent, the power, the musicians, the costumes, the supplies and the labor (for some things). I feel the pressure and my reputation sits on the line. I want this to be as good as it can be. I want it to far exceed my expectations. I want the audience to say 'Wow! That was the best show I've ever seen.' and be able to mean it. There is no reason we can't do amazing work, even with the smaller budgets, the smaller spaces and less professional training.

I try to put together the best production team I can. They make or break it. From there, they put together a fleet of volunteers who build, sew, paint, play, light and move whatever it takes. I take what they give me and try to put it all together into what you will see starting tomorrow night for the next 5 weekends.

I thrive on seeing my actors, whether seasoned veterans or brand spankin' new find their characters and I enjoy seeing the light bulbs go on over their heads. I see the growth and changes occur as they step out each night. I love seeing people learn and become better versions of themselves. I always try to make an actor look and be their best. I will never make a fool out of anyone who entrusts me with their life in this fashion. This is a huge risk, stepping out on a stage in a costume, speaking some lines and singing and dancing. I look forward to each weekend, seeing the evolution of each character.

It's not easy. It never is. So yes, I DO TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY. But I also love it. It is my passion. I do care enough to send the very best out there to the theatre patron who paid their hard earned money to sit and be entertained for the next 2.5 hours of their life.

One more rehearsal. Not a preview.... a rehearsal. I'm going to squeeze every possible second and minute I can and allow my actors, crew and musicians the opportunity the chance to rehearse it one last time. Make your mistakes and take your chances people. There is an excited audience awaiting our many hours of practice and hard work. And there is one director who can hardly wait to see the end result.

One more thing I didn't mention in the blood, sweat and tears category. Someone I love dearly gives up a lot in the process of all this and I want to thank him for letting me do this. He knows that my heart and my brain both live and breathe this stuff and I would do it 24/7 if I could. So thank you Mark for putting up with this insane schedule I've had!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a great show!

Happy Anniversary (NOT)